Imagine you need a data center WAN edge router with multiple 10GE uplinks. You’d probably go for an ASR or a MX-series router, right? How about using a 2 Tbps ToR switch and an SDN solution to make it work with full Internet routing table?
If you happen to have iTunes on your computer, please spend 10 seconds rating the podcast before you start listening to it. Thank you!
David Barroso from Spotify decided to do exactly that. He figured out he needs only a small fraction of the functionality of a reassuringly expensive WAN edge router. Then he listened to the NANOG presentation by Elisa Jasinska, said “that’s exactly how I could figure out what I really need in my forwarding tables”, and implemented a good-enough solution that solves his WAN connectivity challenges with an Arista ToR switch.
- David’s presentation from SDN meetup in Stockholm
- SDN Internet Router documentation
- SDN Internet Router project at Github
- SDN Internet Router - Part 1 (what is Internet and other stories)
- SDN Internet Router - Part 2 (technical details and deployment experience)
- SDN Internet Router In Production - followup podcast with David Barroso
- Toolsmith @ Netflix podcast with Elisa Jasinska
- Pmacct podcast with Paolo Lucente
- NANOG presentation from Elisa Jasinska and Paolo Lucente