netlab Release 1.4.0: EVPN Asymmetric IRB, Anycast Gateways, VRRP
The big three features of the netlab release 1.4.0 are:
- EVPN asymmetric IRB on Arista EOS, Cumulus Linux, Dell OS10, Nokia SR Linux, Nokia SR OS and VyOS
- Anycast gateway on Arista EOS, Cumulus Linux, Nokia SR OS and Nokia SR Linux
- VRRP on Arista EOS, Cisco IOSv/CSR, Cisco Nexus OS, Cumulus Linux and Nokia SR OS
We also added tons of new functionality, including:
- EVPN MPLS transport (currently implemented on Arista EOS and Nokia SR Linux)
- MPLS/LDP support on Nokia SR OS
- New address allocation algorithm for links with small IPv4 prefixes
- VLAN interfaces are created for all VLANs listed in node vlans dictionary even when there’s no physical interface using a particular VLAN.
- Routing protocols could be disabled for the whole VRF
We added a few nerd knobs for users who want to connect virtual lab devices with external devices (see External Connectivity for more details):
- unmanaged devices participate in data transformation process but are not part of virtual lab topology.
- Devices in unprovisioned group are not configured during the netlab initial process.
It’s easier to have a tight control on which VLANs and VRFs use VXLAN transport or EVPN control plane:
- Control allocation of VNI identifiers with vxlan.vlans attribute
- Specify EVPN-enabled VLANs and VRFs with evpn.vlans and evpn.vrfs lists
- VLANs and VRFs mentioned in group vlans/vrfs dictionaries are copied into all group members, resulting in VLAN interfaces and VRFs on all group members.
Finally, a few long-overdue items:
- node_data is deprecated – you can specify node attributes directly in group data.
- Strict validation of topology, node, group, VLAN, VRF, and addressing attributes (see also Breaking changes)
- ‘Device quirks’ framework deals with implementation limitations of individual virtual network devices (example: Arista cEOS does not support MPLS transport)
Upgrading is as easy as ever: execute
pip3 install --upgrade networklab.
New to netlab? Start with the Getting Started document and the installation guide.