Generated by ChatGPT in February 2023 (proving GIGO principle)
Need a real-life overview of what Intent-Based Networking (IBN) is? Start with these blog posts:
When marketers discovered intent-based (like SDN a few years earlier) got a bad rap, they started telling us how declarative APIs are better than imperative ones:
- Imperative and Declarative API: Another Pile of Marketing Deja-Moo
- Declarative and Procedural Programming (and How I Got It all Wrong)
Wonder what the drawbacks of are? We described a few of them:
- Intent-Based Hype
- BGP Route Selection: a Failure of Intent-Based Networking
- Layers of Single-Pane-of-Glass Abstractions Won’t Solve Your Problems
- How Hard Is It to Manage Your Intent?
- Stop Using GUI to Configure SDN or Intent-Based Products
- Intent-Based Networking: Another Victim of Sturgeon's Law
- Network Automation Products for Brownfield Deployments
We covered two products in this category in Software Gone Wild podcasts:
- Intent-Based Networking with Batfish on Software Gone Wild
- IP Fabric with Gian-Paolo Boarina on Software Gone Wild
Want to know more?
- Network Automation Concepts webinar describes the principles, benefits and drawbacks of Intent-Based Networking
- Building Network Automation Solutions online course includes a deep dive into Juniper Apstra Intent-Based Networking.
You might also enjoy these related blog posts:
- Is OSPF Unpredictable or Just Unexpected?
- What’s the Big Deal with Validation?
- Worth Exploring: Pluginized Protocols