Bryan would love to get hands-on SDN experience and sent me this question:
I was recently playing around with Arista vEOS to learn some Arista CLI as well as how it operates with an SDN controller. I was wondering if you know of other free products that are available to help people learn.
Let’s try to do another what-is-out-there survey.
2015-10-01: Updated based on readers’ feedback (see comments).
This is what I’m aware of:
- Open-source fork of Vyatta is still available.
- Cisco IOSv is available within OnePK and might be exportable from it (not sure about the legality of doing that);
- Numerous images are exportable from Cisco VIRL(however, see above);
- Cisco ACI labs are available on dcloud.cisco.com (not sure whether it’s available to non-customers);
- Firewall and load balancing vendors offering virtual versions of their products include A10, Brocade, Cisco ASA, Citrix Netscaler and VPX Express, Checkpoint, F5 BIG-IP VE, Fortinet, and Palo Alto.
More about SDN
Start with the free Introduction to SDN pack or my SDN mailing list, explore the SDN books, and continue the journey with the Advanced SDN Training pack. Finally, there’s the ipSpace.net subscription, which includes all of the above.