The upcoming Data Center Interconnect webinar (register) is sponsored by Enterasys Networks, so it’s obvious that I’ll also mention how you can use their technology to solve particular data center interconnect problems, but that’s not all. The webinar will focus primarily on Whys, Hows and Whats of solving VM- and IP address mobility challenges in multi-data center environments.
Here are a few of the topics we’ll cover:
- Why do you need layer-2 data center interconnect for live (hot) VM mobility and how does a VM communicate with other VMs in the same segment?
- Why don’t you need layer-2 DCI for cold VM mobility and how does a migrated VM communicate with other VMs in the same segment.
These questions apply equally well to what Enterasys is doing and to LISP-based VM mobility solutions proposed by Cisco.
- How does layer-3 pinning impact traffic patterns across data center and between data centers and what can you do to eliminate it and optimize the ingress and egress traffic flows?
- How can you ensure security zone separation in layer-3 DCI designs and when would it make sense to deploy MPLS/VPN?
- Why do stateful devices like firewalls and load balancers break the optimal traffic forwarding and what can be done to alleviate that?
- How do overlay virtual networks integrate with the above concepts and what can you do to use overlay networks with other IP- and VM mobility technologies?
As you can see, we’ll cover plenty of generic data center/virtualization topics – register ASAP before we run out of space.